Monday, March 29, 2010

Elementary, My Dear Readers

I'm sorry to report that the updating fire nearly (NEARLY) died in the Internet-related portion of my creative heart, as the scanner which once felt so near suddenly seemed to be light years away (and only reachable with the assistance of a mysterious being called The Traveller, whose mission appears to be to wander around the universe until he meets someone as awesome as Wesley Crusher (NB: Nobody is as awesome as Wesley Crusher, except the Man(?) Himself, so this seems like a frustrating endeavour)).  Lucky for all 5 of this blog's loyal followers, this Sadness did not come to pass and I present to you three not-particularly-recent creations. 

Number one is the pipe that Data uses when he's playing the part of Sherlock Holmes, in what is quite possibly my least favourite TNG storyline trope (see: a story from a book played out in a holodeck on a ship in a TV show I'm watching in my living room. I don't care what kind of wacky effects the goings-on in the holodeck have on the Enterprise as a whole, I demand more aliens! (Unless those aliens are giving Riker yet another chance to be smarmy in which case you can keep them to yourself and, okay, I'm fine with Data wearing Tweed and affecting an accent)).  I'm going to go out on a limb here, actually, and say that my embroidered, embuttoned representation of the pipe is actually better than the episode that inspired it. 

Moving on, the second button depicts the Klingon battleaxe that Worf uses on the guy in the green mask, whom you will no doubt recall has already been so lovingly rendered and shared on this blog. Not much to say here except Worf talks a big game about training and being a warrior, but when any kind of fighting takes place he sure goes down quickly and with little effort. I'm just saying.

The final button is the goopy black tar monster that ***SPOILER ALERT*** kills Tasha Yar on the Sad Sand Planet of Styrofoam Rocks in the episode Skin of Evil (and in so doing somehow made me cry. Who knew such a thing was possible?) This Tar Guy was extra grumpy and acting-out because his people had all ditched him there when they left for another home planet, due to his being thoroughly unpleasant and embodying all of the evil in their world. Clearly by the time he killed Tasha he had not yet looked within to find life's answers, and was instead still blaming everyone else. 

Will he ever become self-actualised and find redemption? Will any of us? 


1 comment: